8.13.2009

This past weekend, I got to travel to the wedding of a close girlfriend that I've known for most of my life. I got to reconnect with friends I hadn't seen in a decade. And I got to have my soul refreshed by Jesus through some of the most giving people I've ever met.




I approached the father of the groom after the rehearsal dinner, introducing myself and thanking him for his convicting-yet-encouraging words on marriage. We talked for a minute, and I could feel that my eyes were saying much more than my tongue.

The next evening, the wedding and reception were glorious, full with a God-infused sense of celebration. More than ordinary happiness, this place was joy-filled! And as we all headed out the door to send my friend and her groom on their way, I saw the father of the groom flagging me down. "Becs," he said, "I was praying for you this morning, and though some doors have been closed for you, this weekend marks a new start in your life. I pray you are refreshed this weekend. Some verses came to mind for you. Here you go." And he pressed into my hand a scrap of the wedding program, with three passages written down, just for me.

I was so humbled. I was FLOORED. Here, his son is about to walk out the door with his new bride, and this man is intent on loving me. I had never revealed any details about my life, yet God had spoken to him that I was in need, and so he had prayed for me on his son's wedding day, had spoken words of truth and encouragement to me--a stranger--at a moment most would be solely focused on themselves.

God, would you make me as intentional as the people I was surrounded by this weekend.

God, thank You for Your good gifts. Give me the eyes to see them and the heart to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment